Wednesday 4 June 2014

#bookaday June 4th Least favourite book by favourite author

 Whilst Sophie Kinsella IS my favourite author I do have many others I like.  One of whom is Terry Pratchett.  I am currently trying to read all of his books (pretty hard when he keeps releasing new ones) and last year was the turn of Jingo.

I just could not get into this book.  I don't know whether it was because I couldn't relate to the characters (but when can you with Pratchett's novels?)  or because the storyline was sooo busy.  Perhaps it was the theme of war that just doesn't appeal to me.  or maybe it was the long difficult names (they always put me off).   I did persevere and I did read it until the end but I simply did not like it.


About the book 

Jingo was published in 1997 and is the 21st novel by Terry Pratchett, in his Discworld series.

With the opening of the novel, the island of Leshp, which had been submerged under the Circle Sea for centuries, rises to the surface. It is positioned halfway between Ankh-Morpork and Al Khali (the capital of Klatch).

In Ankh-Morpork, a Klatchian Prince is almost wounded during a failed assassination attempt.  Sir Samuel Vimes, Commander of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, begins investigating the crime, originally suspecting both a Klatchian named 71-Hour Ahmed and a senior Morporkian peer, Lord Rust, of being involved.  This leads to the declaration of War between the 2 cities.

Have you read Jingo?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment