Thursday 5 June 2014

#bookaday June 5th Doesn't belong to me.

I've had my fair share of 'acquired' books over the years.  Those ones someone lends you and they sit on your bookcase for years waiting to be read and by the time you do you've forgotten who you borrowed them off.  (likewise I have lost many many books the same way, like my first 3 Harry Potter ones which I need to replace).

By far the best, yet saddest story I have that doesn't belong to me is the Holly and Jessica story, Goodbye dearest Holly written by her father Kevin Wells.  

I am sure readers will remember the tragedy that occurred on the 4th August 2002 when  Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman disappeared.   This book follows the next thirteen days while their families, the police, and the local community searched for them, while the nation watched in horrific suspense.  It documents how, almost two weeks after their disappearance, their bodies were found and the next two days when Ian Huntley was charged with their murders.

In the terrible weeks Kevin, their father, kept notes, fearful that he might forget important details. Kevin's diaries tell of battles with the media, police bureaucracy, the legal system and his relationship with his wife and son, Oliver, during the period. The book also includes a gripping account of the trial and convictions of Ian Huntley and Maxine Carr. 

This book brought me to tears, possibly more so because as a mother whilst I cannot begin to understand the heartache he must have been going through I can only imagine how I would have felt in his situation.  

If you like (ok perhaps that's the wrong word) real life stories you must read this book.  I've just discovered on writing this that Kevin Wells has published a new edition called Goodbye, Dearest Holly: Ten Years On which contains additional chapters, I wish was available in paperback (sadly there is only a Kindle version which I don't have).

No comments:

Post a Comment