Wednesday 17 December 2014

Chickywiggles Christmas guide to...... Songs

One of the best bits about Christmas for me are the songs.  How can you not resist the urge to sing along to Frosty the Snowman as he bounds over the hills with a "Thumpety thump, thump, thumpety thump, thump"?


Admit it, we have all screamed along with Kirsty McColl and the Pogues during "Fairytale of New York" it's probably the most unseasonal Christmas song but ohh soo festive all the same.





Another of my favourite un-festive Christmas songs has to be Mad World by Gary Jules.  This was our favourite song at University and many a night was spent dancing to it.



As far as proper seasonal songs go the one that always takes me back to my Nanna's living room with the family on Christmas day is "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday".  I don't know why this song sticks but it's the one song to evoke smells, emotions and really visual menories.  



I'm always surprised when other parents tell me they do not know the words to "I'm a Little Snowman" or "When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney" (I always forget the words to the second verse), then I remember I'm an ex-primary school teacher and that's where I learnt them .... would I know them if it wasn't for my background?
   Wow have just googled "I'm a Little Snowman" to provide you a link and found 3 other versions I didn't know existed!  :)

These are the words I teach my kids (to the tune of I'm a Little Teapot):

I’m a little snowman short and fat.
Here’s my scarf and here’s my hat.
When the snow is falling, come and play.
Build a snowman every day.
I don't know about you but my kids don't really 'do' Nativity Plays at school.  When I was little every year we did a full blown production (honestly it would put the West End to shame).  We were well versed by the end of Year 6 with the words to "Little Donkey" (as Mary rode to Bethleham), "Rat-a-Tat-Tat"- when they were trying to find a place to stay, and then of course there was "Away in a Manger" (right at the end).


Rat a ‘tat’ ‘tat’

 Rat a tat tat
Rat a tat tat
No, no, no.
There isn’t any room and you can’t stay here
There isn’t any room for strangers.


Rat a tat tat
Rat a tat tat
Yes, yes, yes.
There is a little roomand you can stay here.
There is a little room for strangers.

In my first teaching post the Y2 class performed Toby's Christmas Drum and The Little Blue Star (which I loved, even now, 7 years later, my own kids watch the dvd of their performance and join in with the catchy songs).  Yes these may have been variations but at least they included the Nativity element.

Ben's Christmas play this year was about Santa's Hat,  It was brilliant and funny with songs and parts for all children, but it didn't even touch on the meaning of 'Christmas'.  he was a dancing snowman.


.......... and Noah ........ well his is tomorrow so I'll have to update on that one.

What songs remind you of Christmas, what's your favourite?   
Do you have any views on the traditional 'Nativity'?





No comments:

Post a Comment