We love our Family and Friends Railcard, for just £30 a month you can save ££ when travelling with a child by train.
The card is designed so that up to 4 adults and 4 children (5-15) can save money, 1/3 off an adults ticket and 60% off kids - not just on the day but booking in advance too.
The savings really add up.... for example:
If me the 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 children were to go to Legoland in Manchester today the return tickets would cost £54.90. This is reduced to £31.20 with a railcard (saving: £23.70 .... that's the card almost paid for in one go).
Now assume next month we were going to Alton Towers and staying over night. The return tickets (if booked today) would cost Uttoxter would cost £81.60, this is taken down to £46.20 with a railcard. (saving: £35,40)
Feeling flush we may decide to go to Chessington in the summer holiday (hey I can dream). Booking in advance, including underground trains, we are looking at £243.90 (EEEEKKKKK) we can take this down to £138.20 using a railcard - A saving of £105.70.
In 3 trips this £30 card has saved us £164.80!!!
But it's not just rail travel it saves you money on, remember our holiday in February? Well we saved 50% booking through the railcard website. It also has 2 for 1 offers.
The T&C's state a child 5-15 because you don't have to pay for them until 5 years old. However we've never had a problem buying a ticket for our children under this age to be able to use the savings.
If you haven't got one now is the time as they are teaming up with the Daily Mirror to offer 125,000 free Family and Friend's railcards valid for 2 months, they will then send you a unique code to get £10 discount off the cost of a yearly ticket (making it £20 for a year's worth of savings). You must register for the offer online before the 13th May 2015.
- at least one adult (aged 16+. the named card holder) and one child need to buy tickets to travel to qualify for the discount.
- maximum group size four adults aged 16 years or over and four children (aged 5 to 15)
- A maximum number of 125,000 trial cards will be available on a first come, first serve basis.
- discount must be redeemed between 13 July to 10 August 2015
- The railcard must be carried on all journeys purchased with discounted tickets
- Offer available to residents of Great Britain aged 16 years or over - excludes employees of MGN Limited or ATOC Ltd.
- Only one free two month Family & Friends Railcard can be issued per person. No replacements will be issued if lost or stolen. (you can replace a permanent card)
- The Trial/ railcard is not transferable and remains the property of ATOC Ltd.
- The Railcard discounts are not available on First Class fares. A morning peak restriction applies for journeys in London and the South East, Mondays to Fridays.
- The £10 discount is only available for online purchase of a 1-year Family & Friends Railcard and cannot be redeemed at stations.
A full set of Family & Friends Railcard Terms & Conditions is available from any staffed station ticket office or at http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk.
The Railcard and train travel are subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. Names of the Train Companies and copies of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage are available at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/nrcc
Please note that I have not been asked or sponsored to write this post, just sharing some handy advice with you. It's also highly unlikely we'll be going to the attractions mentioned due to their cost lol but they were the first things to come into my head.